Do you love dessert but hate all that it stands for? Desserts have gotten a bad rap over the years, especially among health enthusiasts. They are loaded with sugar, cause cavities and make you lethargic. Consuming high amounts of sugar can give you short bursts of energy but they ultimately leave you with a crash, causing you to feel sleepy .
These Chocolate Pomegranate Tarts are a great alternative to your usual sugary treats like cake and cookies. They are made with all natural ingredients that are full of flavor and nutrients.
One of the best parts about this dessert is that it’s made with all things coconut. Even after all this time, coconuts continue to surprise us with their countless benefits. Here are some:
Coconut Meat: The flesh of this tropical nut is a good source of fiber, which gives you a feeling of fullness and keeps things moving in your digestive tract .
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a great source of medium-chain fatty acids. Unlike most other fats, MCFAs are easier to digest and converted into energy rather than stored as fat. Coconut oil also has antibacterial, antifungal and anti-viral properties; it will help fight bacteria unlike refined sugar, which feeds the growth of bad bacteria .
Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is superior to cow’s milk in that it is lactose-free. Thus, it is an ideal choice for those who are lactose intolerant .
Chocolate Tart Base
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- ¾ cup almonds
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds to decorate
- Edible flowers (optional)
- For the base, add all ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed between the fingers.
- Line 6 muffin trays with glad wrap.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of chocolate tart mixture into each muffin tin and carefully press until a tart casing is formed.
- Put into the freezer to set. Approximately 30 mins.
- To make the chocolate ganache, add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Pull the tart casings out of the freezer and fill each tart with the chocolate ganache.
- Decorate with pomegranate seeds.
- Keep the tarts in the tin and chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
- Add edible flowers (optional).
Note: Chocolate tarts can be kept in the freezer for 1 week. Just thaw out for 30 minutes whenever you have chocolate cravings.