This rich and fluffy ice cream is the perfect dairy-free way to dessert. Whipped coconut cream creates a thick base while aromatic turmeric and toasted coconut add a mellow and exotic flavor.
For this ice cream, you want to use a coconut milk that is on the thicker side. Set your can in the refrigerator overnight to allow the cream to thicken as much as possible. When you open your can of coconut cream, there should be a thick layer that is solid and white with just a little bit of liquid. It will take a little bit of elbow grease and patience to achieve an airy fluffiness to the coconut cream.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Yield: Approximately 6 cups prepared
- 2 cans coconut cream
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons pure honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. Toast shredded coconut in a pan over low heat until light golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Using a hand-mixer on high speed, beat the coconut milk turning the bowl and swirling the beaters into the coconut cream; beat until fluffy. This may take 5-7 minutes.
3. Once the cream has fluffed up a bit, stir in the honey, sea salt, and turmeric.
4. Pour into a parchment paper lined bread pan or ice cream pan. sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Instead of adding the shredded coconut to the coconut cream, I opted to toast it up for a pretty topping for the ice cream. The toasted coconut enhances the flavor of the coconut in the ice cream and adds a little bit of texture and crunch. Cover with aluminum foil. Freeze 4-6 hours or until just frozen through. Scoop and serve. Store covered in freezer.
That’s right, no ice cream machine necessary for this recipe. I find that 4-6 hours are just enough to freeze the ice cream while still remaining scoopable. If your ice cream does get too hard, simply let it thaw for 15 minutes at room temperature before scooping.