For a super sweet snack, try my Upside Down Pineapple Slice. The sweetness of the “caramel” goes perfectly with the tartness of the pineapple. Then, add some coconut and it’s a killer combination!
Typically, caramel is made with all those not-so-great ingredients like refined sugar, cream, and butter. But the so-called caramel I use in this recipe is completely natural and made from dates.
Dates are a good source of dietary fiber, which aids digestion and promotes healthy bowel movements. Dates also contain a variety of essential vitamins and minerals including iron, potassium, copper, magnesium, manganese, B-vitamins, Vitamin A and Vitamin K. The latter two contribute to eye health and also help you to maintain healthy skin. Talk about a real treat.
I love this raw upside down pineapple slice. It doesn’t require any cooking and I love to have these in the freezer for when I have sweet tooth cravings. They really don’t last very long in my house! I created this recipe inspired by “Thahabi”, a lustre coating by Jotun Paints Arabia. Thahabi reflects the golden souk, the golden grains of sand, the desert and this region’s timeless heritage.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Freeze time: 2.5 hours
I used a 10.5cm x 20.5cm loaf tin.
- 1 cup dates
- ½ cup water
Almond Coconut Base
- ½ cup dates
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon bee pollen (optional)
Top with fresh pineapple slices (0.5 cm thick) and bee pollen to decorate.
- To make the caramel sauce, place the dates and caramel into a food processor, and blend until a smooth syrup consistency is formed. Set aside.
- Grab your tin and line with baking paper. Carefully arrange the pineapple pieces at the bottom of the tin.
- Pour the raw caramel sauce over the pineapple, and let it set in the freezer for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the base layer.
- For the base, add all ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed between the fingers.
- Remove the pan from the freezer, and press the base mixture on top of the pineapple and caramel sauce, the harder you pack, the better it will stay together when you turn it upside down.
- Put back into the freezer for 2 hours to set. Slice can be kept in the freezer until serving (let defrost for approximately 15 mins for the cream to soften).
- When ready to serve, flip the pan upside down onto a plate.
- Slice carefully with a sharp knife and sprinkle some bee pollen (optional).
- Enjoy this delightful treat with your family and friends.
Note: This pineapple slice can be kept in the freezer for 1 week. Just thaw out for 15 minutes when you have some dessert cravings.